Regulation on “Exemption from Migrant Worker Placement Fees” by the Indonesian Government
- The regulation on “Exemption from Migrant Worker Placement Fees” promulgated by the Indonesian Government was implemented on 2 August 2021.
- Starting from the implementation date, Indonesian nationals applying for the ten specified types of jobs overseas (including the post of domestic helper) will be subject to the regulation. The Indonesian Government has issued a cost structure to employment agencies in Indonesia.
- Please click here for details and its cost structure.
FDHs are required to replace their existing identity cards according to the call-up periods under the territory-wide identity card replacement exercise.
- The territory-wide identity card replacement exercise covers Hong Kong residents for employment, e.g. FDHs.
- FDHs and their employers shall pay attention to the replacement schedule. FDHs are required to replace their existing identity card within specified periods according to their year of birth.
- FDHs may make appointment and pre-fill the application form at www.gov.hk/newicbooking or through the Immigration Department's mobile application before visiting the smart identity card replacement centre so as to enjoy a faster registration process. FDHs can also make telephone booking at 2121 1234.
- FDHs only need to bring along their existing smart identity cards for replacement.
- Please visit www.smartid.gov.hk for more details about the territory-wide identity card replacement exercise.
FDHs cleaning the exterior side of a window without any safety precautions.
- The Standard Employment Contract (SEC) for FDHs includes a clause on cleaning outward-facing windows to safeguard the occupational safety of FDHs. For details, please refer to the leaflet “Foreign Domestic Helpers - Safety Requirements for Cleaning Outward-facing Windows” under the “Publicity Materials and Related Publications” section.
- Both the employers and FDHs are obliged to observe all the clauses in the SEC.
- If an employer requests an FDH to clean outward-facing windows in breach of the SEC, the FDH can refuse such request. Regarding the employer’s suspected breach of contract, the FDH can seek assistance from the Labour Relations Division of the Labour Department if necessary, where free conciliation service would be provided to assist both the FDH and the employer to resolve their labour dispute.
Money lender charging FDHs an interest rate exceeding statutory limit and requiring FDHs to surrender passports and employment contracts as collateral.
- FDHs should not take out loans and borrow excessively. They should not repay employment agencies by borrowing money.
- FDHs should keep their personal identification documents and the SEC. They should not sign any documents or agreements which they do not fully understand.
- Employers and employment agencies should not be involved in the financial affairs of FDHs.
- Under the Money Lenders Ordinance, a person carrying on business as a money lender in Hong Kong must obtain a money lender’s licence. Any person who lends or offers to lend money at an effective rate of interest which exceeds 60% per annum commits an offence and is liable to prosecution.
- For any complaints against money lenders, please report to the Police.