FDHs cleaning the exterior side of a window without any safety precautions.
- The Standard Employment Contract (SEC) for FDHs includes a clause on cleaning outward-facing windows to safeguard the occupational safety of FDHs. For details, please refer to the leaflet “Foreign Domestic Helpers - Safety Requirements for Cleaning Outward-facing Windows” under the “Publicity Materials and Related Publications” section.
- Both the employers and FDHs are obliged to observe all the clauses in the SEC.
- If an employer requests an FDH to clean outward-facing windows in breach of the SEC, the FDH can refuse such request. Regarding the employer’s suspected breach of contract, the FDH can seek assistance from the Labour Relations Division of the Labour Department if necessary, where free conciliation service would be provided to assist both the FDH and the employer to resolve their labour dispute.
Money lender charging FDHs an interest rate exceeding statutory limit and requiring FDHs to surrender passports and employment contracts as collateral.
- FDHs should not take out loans and borrow excessively. They should not repay employment agencies by borrowing money.
- FDHs should keep their personal identification documents and the SEC. They should not sign any documents or agreements which they do not fully understand.
- Employers and employment agencies should not be involved in the financial affairs of FDHs.
- Under the Money Lenders Ordinance, a person carrying on business as a money lender in Hong Kong must obtain a money lender’s licence. Any person who lends or offers to lend money at an effective rate of interest which exceeds 60% per annum commits an offence and is liable to prosecution.
- For any complaints against money lenders, please report to the Police.